25 June 2007

Useful Meeting ? Aye right !

So in I went to the meeting full of hope, full of ideas, certain that the Cooncil man was going to have to listen to me and have to do something about the safety of the guys and girls it was happy to take money from to license them and it all began well.

I explained the circumstances of the two incidents I had been involved in since the turn of the year and Mr Cooncil Man wrote it all down, stopping me to allow him to catch up with his scribing. He then rather prudly announced that he had been looking into the issues raised in my email and had phoned Glasgow City Council and East Renfrewshire Council to find out what they were doing, and they didn't see the need to do anything.

I then cited examples of what various English councils and police forces were doing in order to improve safety for the drivers and the public to which a straight faced official responded "Aye but thats down in England". Sorry did I miss something, is the culture of our land so different that the border automatically removes the similarities between two guys doing the same job ?

So I pressed on, suggesting a Safety Awareness exhibition where the Council could invite suppliers of devices aimed at the Driver market and through a small fee cover all their costs thus giving Renfrewshire Cooncil a bit of credibility for no cost, and letting the drivers and public see that Renfrewshire was serious about the safety of its citizens and license payers. Silence was the deafening response.

So undeterred I pushed on with option two, a safety leaflet that could be put on the Cooncil website, and that of the Polis if they wanted, in the form of a PDF file. How much would this cost, the square root of hee haw, but again Silence.

It was at this stage that I informed the Enforcement Officer that I would most likely be handing back my plate and license as I was fed up with the lack of support from the Cooncil and Police. At this point he stopped even kidding on he was listening to me and began to try to rush me out the door advising me I probably had more important things to be doing, patronising c~~t. When I explained that even if I gave in my license this problem was still going to be faced by other drivers I was advised that "in the 10 years I have been here, since leaving the Police (surprise sur-f@@king-prise), I am only aware of 6 attacks on drivers."

Well if thats the case I have been unfortunate enough to be involved in 33.33% of these, and a further 33.33% have happened to drivers in the last 9 months (see your Paisley Daily Express for details of attacks in Gallowhill and Inchinnan on drivers from Paisley Cab Co) which leaves just 2 attacks in the prior 9 years and 3 months. Aye right.

Is that why numerous drivers have anti stab devices, don't work nights, don't pick up certain hires. Or is it that we all know the Council and the Police don't give a flying f@@k and just don't report it. I'll let you decide.

No comments: